[smc-discuss] Malayalam of Source code?

Sebin Jacob sebinajacob at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 06:23:04 PST 2011

Hi Birty Chacko,

If you do not know what you are talking about, just try to google it first
and then rand. Those various fonts you say is of pre unicode era and they
are called ASCII fonts. Those are actually Latin fonts with Malayalam glyph,
only the face changed.

We have converters like Payyans and Chathans, and oh, yeah, the good old
Varamozhi also does this conversion very well, sometimes even better. I have
used it for years in various news organisations, I worked. There are also
online converters available in the web.

That is in case you don't know to convert an ascii font to another or to
Unicode and vice versa. Now if you do not know what is Unicode, go search
the Wiki.

Now the exercise going on here is not about naming any software program. It
is about localisation. I know, you will not google it for yourself. So it is
essentially transcribing the graphical user interfaces of the OS (which we
call, the desktop environment) and the menu structure of programs running on
top of it to some local language. This is to help reduce digital divide.

You or your kith and kin could read and write in English. But that is not
the case with everybody. Shouldn't the non English speaking crowd out there
use their personal computers in their own language? So does localisation
exists. If you haven't ever seen a non English operating system, please try
any common Gnu/Linux system and you could select the language in which, you
would love to work or play.

period.

~ Sebin