[smc-discuss] കമ്പ്യൂട്ടർ

Baiju M baiju.m.mail at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 09:57:12 PST 2013

Hi All,

I am not an active member of this group anymore. However, I thought
I will give an account of how or when we started using the project name as
"Swathanthra Malayalam Computing", SMC for short.

When I started working on this project in the late 2001, I didn't had a clear
vision about the project.  My idea was to start localizing GNOME & KDE.
You can see the first mail I send to the group in Jan 9, 2002 here:
As you can see, the Yahoo discussion group was called "Malayalam Linux".
When I registered the Sourceforge.net around the same time (Jan 17, 2002)
we used the same name (malayalmlinux):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/malayalamlinux/
Later, due to political reasons we started calling the name as
"Malayalam GNU/Linux".

But very soon as I started working more on this project, I realized the
name does't look good.  I started thinking about a better name.

In October 2002, I got a better name and announced it in the list.
Again due to political reasons we moved project and lists to Savannah as you can
see in the above mail.

The reason for change was, this project was not just about "Linux" or
even "GNU/Linux"
and again it was not just about "localization".  The project was to
enable all kinds of support
for Malayalam language in all "Free Software" operating environments.

Regards,
Baiju M