[smc-discuss] [OT]Fwd: Stepping it up as W3C takes the next step towards the Hollyweb

aboobacker sidheeque mk aboobackervyd at gmail.com
Thu May 9 17:38:47 PDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "DefectiveByDesign.org" <info at defectivebydesign.org>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 20:25:49 -0400
Subject: Stepping it up as W3C takes the next step towards the Hollyweb
To: Aboobacker MK Vayad <aboobackervyd at gmail.com>

Things are escalating, Aboobacker MK

Last Friday, we made a powerful statement to the W3C by [delivering
the verified signatures of over 22,500
people](https://www.defectivebydesign.org/oscar-awarded-w3c-in-the-hollyweb)
against Encrypted Media Extensions (EME), Big Media's proposal to
incorporate DRM support into HTML. Today the W3C advanced EME one step
further in their approval process, to "first public working draft."
This doesn't mean we've lost, but it shows that the media and software
companies behind EME are not giving up, and that we need to keep
pushing.

We published a [press
release](https://www.fsf.org/news/world-wide-web-consortium-takes-next-step-with-controversial-drm-proposal-defective-by-design-condemns-decision)
today condemning W3C's move and promising to release an in-depth
rebuttal to the [shallow
arguments](http://www.w3.org/QA/2013/05/perspectives_on_encrypted_medi.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=statusnet)
that W3C CEO Jim Jaffe is using as justification for EME.

While we get ready to publish our rebuttal, there are two things you
can do to help us keep the pressure on:

[Donate to Defective by Design through the FSF. $15 or $30 is enough
to help fuel our growing campaigns team and keep us on the offensive
against the well-funded corporate lobbyists gunning for
DRM.](https://my.fsf.org/donate?amount=30)

[Join the W3C's public discussion list for EME and make your opinion
heard. Follow this link and click "[subscribe to this list]" in the
"Mail actions" line. _Remember, calm but strong statements are more
powerful than nasty
criticism._](http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/)
For inspiration, check out the the [joint
letter](https://www.defectivebydesign.org/sign-on-against-drm-in-html)
Defective by Design and 26 other organizations wrote against EME.

This is shaping up to be one of the biggest disputes in the W3C's
history, and for good reason. Incorporating DRM support into HTML
would cause a lot of problems for users of the Web, from damaged
software freedom to even more accessibility problems for users with
disabilities. That's why we are going to keep finding ways to show the
W3C that they need to represent the Web-using public, not just
Netflix. Please donate and join the discussion list.

Zak Rogoff
Campaigns Manager

PS - If you didn't sign our
[petition](http://www.defectivebydesign.org/no-drm-in-html5) against
EME, but got an email on Friday saying we delivered your signature to
the W3C, please accept our apologies. _We only delivered signatures of
people who signed the petition and verified their signature via
email._ The email you received was meant to let all Defective by
Design supporters know that we had delivered the petition signatures
-- we apologize for the confusing wording.

_Read this message online at
<https://www.defectivebydesign.org/stepping-it-up-against-the-hollyweb>._
--
* Follow us at <https://status.fsf.org/dbd>.