[smc-discuss] Language model and Acoustic model for Malayalam language for speech recognition system in CMU Sphinx

Deepa P.Gopinath deepapgopinath at gmail.com
Wed May 1 22:32:30 PDT 2013

Speech recognition in any language, is a very difficult paradigm,
especially when it is continuous speech. Inter speaker variability and
intra speaker variability, make it very complex. Knowledge in linguistics,
phonology and phonotactics of the language is essential to develop a
system.
As for Malayalam, very little work is there in speech recognition field.
CDAC have done some work, but the research work is not available in public
domain. Bits and slices of works may have been done as academic projects.
Again that is not available for further research. So we have to start every
thing from scratch.
Sphinx engine is not the only choice. But since it is from CMU and since
work has been done in other Indian languages like Hindi, Marathi etc., as a
preliminary work in the language, this might be a good choice.
Feel free to contact for further consultation

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 8:29 AM, aboobacker sidheeque mk <
aboobackervyd at gmail.com> wrote:

> @Deepa Gopinath
> I am a computer science student who is interested in speech processing
> . I would like to participate GSoC for this project. But I am too late
> I don't have any previous experience on this topic . i went through
> sphinx tutorial and linked papers . It seems an an interesting project
> , So I started writing a proposal  here is link
> http://wiki.smc.org.in/User:Tachyons/GSoC-speech_recognition . I will
> complete it ASAP, before that I would like to know more about current
> status of malayalam speech recognition and Challenges in it :-)

Dr. Deepa P.Gopinath
Lecturer in Electronics and Communication
Department of  Electronics Engg.
College of Engineering Thiruvananthapuram
Kerala, India
Mobile- +919446583466