[smc-discuss] Rails Girls Summer of Code

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Fri May 31 06:04:35 PDT 2013

Why do you think programming is a male oriented area when most of the
computer science courses have more girls than boys? Also don't you see good
number of women in IT companies? Doesn't that mean some thing is missing
from Free Software communities that women don't feel welcome? How did you
come to the conclusion that there is no descrimination when the numbers
speak otherwise? Checkout the commits to smc or silpa repos and tell me how
many women are committing? Did you ever ask any women why they don't
contribute before declaring there is no descrimination? It is a serious
thing when you don't feel anything when a huge portion of the programmers
are kept out from Free Software and when efforts are made to reach out to
them, you see it as a problem. Let's start a survey if you are interested
from your campus itself. Start with counting the number of boys and girls
in your class. Then ask how many of them have a computer at home or have a
laptop, then how many of them have a good internet/broadband connection.
Let's analyse the numbers and come to some conclusions. It is a serious
issue, are you ready?

On May 31, 2013 6:17 PM, "aboobacker sidheeque mk" <aboobackervyd at gmail.com>