[smc-discuss] What is SMC? (Was Re: SMC at 12 (Exhibition))

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 21:56:56 PDT 2013

If I knew we would end up just like another registered organization, I
wouldn't have supported registering SMC. Also if we were having the
disussion right now, if we should register, I wouldn't support either. Now
that we are already registered, we have to live with it. For me,
registering was purely for logistics and legal requirement of accepting and
managing money. I have strong disagreement over the way SMC is being
projected as just another organization celebrating 12 year anniversary. How
can an organization registered in 2010 have 12 year anniversary? For me,
SMC is a platform for everyone involved in Free Software with focus on
supporting Malayalam. It is now a question for everyone considering
themself to be a part of SMC to decide if this is the way you want to see
us move forward. For me, any event is an opportunity to get new people
directly involved in Free Software and expanding community as opposed to
keeping people away as outsiders. I hope we'll have a serious debate on
what is SMC and who is part of SMC in our general body meeting.