[smc-discuss] What is SMC? (Was Re: SMC at 12 (Exhibition))

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Fri Oct 4 22:00:50 PDT 2013

Praveen A <pravi.a at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> For me, registering was purely for logistics and legal requirement of
> accepting and managing money. I have strong disagreement over the way
> SMC is being projected as just another organization celebrating 12
> year anniversary. How can an organization registered in 2010 have 12
> year anniversary? For me, SMC is a platform for everyone involved in
> Free Software with focus on supporting Malayalam. It is now a question
> for everyone considering themself to be a part of SMC to decide if
> this is the way you want to see us move forward. For me, any event is
> an opportunity to get new people directly involved in Free Software
> and expanding community as opposed to keeping people away as
> outsiders. I hope we'll have a serious debate on what is SMC and who
> is part of SMC in our general body meeting.

[...]

I've been lurking on the list and not actively doing anything (although
I'd like to help with the logistics of the anniversary if assistance is
needed).

This topic comes up with all communities that start off informally and
successfully grow. My own feeling is that it's useful to have a formal
organisation that has a book keeping function but no power as
such. There are a lot of details that need to be taken care of if money
is involved and having formal structures to take care of this is a
useful thing. It's basically a body that takes care of the boring grunt
work so that the active volunteers can focus on the more interesting
aspects of work.

--
Cordially,
Noufal