[smc-discuss] Freedom toaster USB creator

Anish A aneesh.nl at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 01:19:46 PDT 2013

Hi,

    First of all, I want to introduce Kevin Martin to SMC. He is from
Thiruvananthapuram, pursuing his B.Tech from CET, TVPM. He, along with Manu
Krishnan T V has helped much in setting up freedom toaster. Mail from him
is below. Probably someone can help or guide him.

Hi,
I've added a create bootable USB button to freedom toaster. Used unetbootin
to get it done. But there's a problem. When I press the button a separate
GUI (of unetbootin) pops up and does the installation to the USB. I did
some research on the net but I could not find any commandline only tools. I
can script unetbootin to install automatically but that would still fire up
the separate GUI. And unetbootin requires root privileges to work.
Unetbootin uses syslinux to make the USBs bootable but I guess syslinux is
too complicated to script. We have two options : Either tolerate the GUI or
build a separate unetbootin that does not have a GUI

And in case u r testing it : The USB drive is set to /dev/sdb by default.
In case u have the wrong drive there it might lead to problems. I will add
a drop down list that lets the user select the USB drive soon enough.
Changes have been commited to my fork. Tested the usb boot option with
puppy linux and ubuntu 12.04 - works like a charm. But without root
privileges, an error occurs with unetbootin. So make sure u do 'sudo python
main.py' when testing.

https://github.com/lonesword/freedomtoaster

regards,

Kevin Martin Jose

--
Regards,
Anish A,

http://aneesh.nl

സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യം തന്നെയമൃതം സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യം തന്നെ ജീവിതം
പാരതന്ത്ര്യം മാനികള്‍ക്ക് മൃതിയെക്കാള്‍ ഭയാനകം
- മഹാകവി കുമാരനാശാന്‍