[smc-discuss] Verityper Keyboard layout for Malayalam Unicode in Windows

Sebin Jacob sebinajacob at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 02:17:35 PDT 2013

Hi all,

While I adapted remington keyboard layout for inputting unicode Malayalam
in Gnu/Linux, I had maintained that, this was one of the most popular
typewriter keyboards available in malayalam. The second populist Malayalam
typewrtiter keyboard was introduced by Verityper and the layout is known as
veritfont. Supersoft's Thoolika had a version of it included in their ascii
typing utility. Though this tool is archaic now, this keyboard had been in
use, in Kerala Kaumudi for long. Now, Kaumudi had changed from Ascii to
Unicode. With this transfer, they were forced to change the input method
too because of the lack of a keyboard support.

Recently, a group from Mumbai asked me to adapt the veritfont layout for
unicode, to use in Windows machines. Some of the functions of this keyboard
was not easy to be mapped using Microsoft keyboard layout creator. So
instead of keeping it in two levels, I have come up with a multilevel
layout based on, but extended thoroughly from the basic Veritfont layout. Here
is the windows version of Verityper Keyboard layout for Unicode
Malayalam<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f8bczxhot4ythak/Ojg0699wEV>.
Have to adapt it to Gnu/linux too.

The link leads to a dropbox folder. Download it as a zip file by selecting
the drop down menu at the top right position of Dropbox. Unzip it. Run the
setup and try out the input method. Bugs already reported by the Mumbai
team has been fixed. Do let me know of any other bugs.

Source file and layout diagram is also placed in a separate folder in that
link. If anybody feels to adapt it to the Gnu/Linux environment, you are
welcome.

Thank you,
Sebin Abraham Jacob

--
"This is the highest wisdom that I own; freedom and life are earned by
those alone who conquer them each day anew." - Goethe