[smc-discuss] Signing International Principles on the Application of Human Rights to Communications Surveillance

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 07:03:19 PDT 2013

Dear Friends,

Can we endorse https://en.necessaryandproportionate.org/text. I got an
invitation asking us to endorse it

I am  happy with the text and I think we (SMC) Need to endorse it. It will
be good if we can start translating the text . Any volunteers?

--------

We are hundreds of organizations from across the world that stand against
unchecked surveillance. The Principles are intended to explain how existing
human rights standards and international law applies to the new
capabilities and risks of digital surveillance.

We plan to use these principles to hold governments accountable, to
pressure them towards effective oversight and transparency, and to enact
safeguards and put limits against unchecked surveillance.