[smc-discuss] Automated Rendering Testing - Status update

Vasudev Kamath kamathvasudev at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 09:57:41 PDT 2013

On 14:18 Mon 09 Sep     , Rajeesh K Nambiar wrote:
> In general:
> Test cases for Meera and Rachana are reviewed and completed. The main
> rendering testing program (rendering_test.py) is also in a good shape
> where other interested people can start using it. We can help with
> some tips on how to integrate rendering testing for your language,
> send us a note or ping on #smc-project [Vasudev, I'm looking at you
> :-) ]

Well right :-). First I need to go through the code + documentation to
see where I should start.

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Nandaja Varma <nandaja.varma at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Here is the present status of the project.
> >
> > * The testing framework now can evaluate words with multiple correct
> > renderings, provided the correct renderings are provided in the reference
> > file separated by semi colon.
> >
> > * Reference glyph for both Rachana and Meera has been updated as per the
> > latest updates (changes in glyph names) in the upstream.
> >
> > * Reference for Devanagari font is being added to the repo.

Just wondering why we need to add fonts to repo. Why can't we use fonts
from system and allow user to tell font name from conf or command line?
I see adding font to this codebase as redundant + font might get
outdated if upstream is active (like smc).

Also if the tool is to be packaged then packager should strip of font
from tool instead of that lets opt for best practise and stop
duplicating the code/font.

Disclaimer: This is written without reading or looking code, If I've misunderstood
something please let me know.

> > Present status of the framework is:
> >
> > * rendering_test.py can accept  up to 7 inputs, which being the test cases
> > file, reference file, rendered output file, font file, output file, error
> > file and a directory name.

Nitpicking - A man page would be helpful ;-).

> > * Of this everything but reference file and rendering output are optional.
> > * Output will be produced as per the parameters passed.
> > * pep-8 errors reported before has been cleared.
> >
> > By the end of this week, I am planning to finish:
> >
> > * Complete Devanagari references
> > * The immediate next priority being C++ implementation of the code, I will
> > be working on that.

Rajeesh is there any real need of C++ code? or is there any plan to
merge this tool to harfbuzz code?

--
Vasudev Kamath
http://copyninja.info