[smc-discuss] Fwd: [python-kerala] malayalam python graphics tutorials

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.cess at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 09:51:45 PST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 17:21 +0530, അഖിൽ കൃഷ്ണൻ എസ്. wrote:
> pedrocr.pt/text/how-much-gnu-in-gnu-linux/

I would think that size is not the main criterion. Let us consider this:
The whole Free Software movement started with the GNU project. Without
Stallman and the GNU project, there would have been no Free Software and
no GPL under which a large fraction of Free Software or Open Source
Software for that matter is distributed. So, calling the entire thing
just "Linux" is like denying one's parentage. Now I see that a large
part of GNU software is really contributed by Stallman himself! Look:
32% of GNU is GCC according to the above chart! And 4% is Emacs. Just
these two add up to 36% of GNU! By calling the whole system "Linux" we
are denying all this and attributing the whole system to "Linux" kernel
(that is just about 9% of the entire system. I have nothing against
Linus of Open Source, but their denial of the importance of freedom in
Free Software.

Now you decide what you should call the entire system.

Regards,
Sasi

--
V. Sasi Kumar