[smc-discuss] [fsug-tvm] Re: Open source -Remote administration tool?

Razee Marikar razeetg at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 02:46:05 PST 2014

If you want remove GUI, check out implementations of NX. Its pretty efficient compared to VNC and remote X, and used to work better at lower bandwidth links and even better with high bandwidth. It used to work over regular SSH (needs an additional user in the target/server called nx). Newer versions work in a different way. Free(dom/beer) versions are available at several sources. I used to use Neatx by Google (server only, https://code.google.com/p/neatx/, GPL v2), and Free NX(server and client https://launchpad.net/~freenx-team/+archive/ppa, GPL v2). NoMachine, who made the protocol have their versions too, but they have limited features for free(beer), and nothing is free(dom) except the protocol itself I think.

--
Razee Marikar

Home page: http://razee.marikar.co.in
“Even a fool knows we can't reach the stars, but thatdoesn't stop the wise man from trying”

On Thursday, 6 March 2014, 13:19, sooraj kenoth <soorajkenoth at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the instant reply.
:-)

>>> If you are administering only Linux machines, SSH with port-forwarding
>>> should be enough.. you don't even need VNC. And if you use
>>> X forwarding, you
>>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/ssh.html
>>> http://forrestbao.blogspot.com/2008/01/connecting-your-remote-
>>> linux-desktop.html

I think this will solve my issue. It seems more efficient in terms of
resource usage and simplicity. Let me try it.

-----

>> http://jrdesktop.sourceforge.net/

Need flash-plugin???

----

> iTalc may be the right choice.This tool is mainly designed for
> Educational purpose. But it can used for normal remote
> management activites too.

As far as my understanding iTalc is VNC clone.

--
Regards
Sooraj Kenoth