[smc-discuss] Like to bring all your attention related IT policy of some of the state funded institutions

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.cess at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 10:53:50 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-24 at 19:27 +0530, Jahfar Ali wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I came to know that some of the public funded institutions like C-DIT
> and CDAC,Tvm has statutory regulation against to open up their source
> code as well as other product information for public. So, none of
> their language computing source code or data is available for public,
> even for research or social cause. It is really disastrous.
>

> These policy making people are not aware of the open source
> initiatives. Still these policy makers want to close their work from
> public.
>

> Is there any way to use RTI to know the rules, which brings such
> hurdles.
>

> I would like to have a open discussion and legal plan to fight for a
> change..

As far as CDAC is concerned, my understanding is that they are supposed
to generate something like 60% of their budget. Which means that they
have to utilise every opportunity of making money. Moreover, decisions
regarding matters like the licence used for software they create are
taken at their headquarter, where it is the government of India that
controls these things. So, any change has to start from the concerned
ministry. I guess the case of C-DIT also must be similar. Even as
scientists, we were encouraged to take patents for any small thing we
did. I guess these people do not understand the problems associated with
patents and licences.

> please add what we can do for this...

I guess we have to lobby with the government of India to encourage such
institutes to licence their works under Free licences. We need to
convince them of the benefits to society that such licences give.

Regards,
Sasi

--
Scientist (Retd)