[smc-discuss] Like to bring all your attention related IT policy of some of the state funded institutions

Jahfar Ali jahfar.ali at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 05:55:22 PDT 2014

The licensing Jargons GPL, or some thing else does nt make a sense.

I think there is general agreement among the people that these efforts are
made public, it enable more social impact. As govt. of india or Govt of
kerala would be benifited out of it through improving the efficience of the
society or particularly to its economy.

Again I pose the same question, which rule of the govt. or of the formation
of these institute demands such hiding of the work.

I think only the RTI able to give an answer from the authority.

Any one filed a RTI??, knows procedure its procedure.

I am not in TVM, any body in TVM can take it??

Expecting people reply

Jahfar

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:23 PM, V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.cess at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-03-24 at 19:27 +0530, Jahfar Ali wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I came to know that some of the public funded institutions like C-DIT
> > and CDAC,Tvm has statutory regulation against to open up their source
> > code as well as other product information for public. So, none of
> > their language computing source code or data is available for public,
> > even for research or social cause. It is really disastrous.
> >

> > These policy making people are not aware of the open source
> > initiatives. Still these policy makers want to close their work from
> > public.
> >

> > Is there any way to use RTI to know the rules, which brings such
> > hurdles.
> >

> > I would like to have a open discussion and legal plan to fight for a
> > change..
>
> As far as CDAC is concerned, my understanding is that they are supposed
> to generate something like 60% of their budget. Which means that they
> have to utilise every opportunity of making money. Moreover, decisions
> regarding matters like the licence used for software they create are
> taken at their headquarter, where it is the government of India that
> controls these things. So, any change has to start from the concerned
> ministry. I guess the case of C-DIT also must be similar. Even as
> scientists, we were encouraged to take patents for any small thing we
> did. I guess these people do not understand the problems associated with
> patents and licences.
> >
> > please add what we can do for this...
>
> I guess we have to lobby with the government of India to encourage such
> institutes to licence their works under Free licences. We need to
> convince them of the benefits to society that such licences give.
>
> Regards,
> Sasi
>
> --
> Scientist (Retd)
> Centre for Earth Science Studies
> PB No. 7250
> Thuruvikkal PO
> Thiruvananthapuram 695031
> India
> sasifsf.wordpress.com
> sip:sasi at sip.linphone.org

 Jahfar Ali P
 Asst.Professor
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
MES College of Engineering
Kuttipuram.
Mob: 07736663602