[smc-discuss] [X-post] [OT] Research publications

sooraj kenoth soorajkenoth at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 07:53:48 PST 2014

I am trying to understand the model

So the system is like this

1. [Author] -> to 2
2. [Selection Team(A Gray Body)] -> to 3
3. [Reject/accept] -> to 1 or to 4
4. [Transfer the ownership]
5. [Peer Review team(correction)(A Black Body] -> to 1 or to 6
6. [Publish]

If this is the model, how the review team is been selected? What is
their credibility? how does their quality is measured?
What is the meaning of impact factor? What is its significance?
Is there any alternate model?

> I do not know much about academic publishing. Students from my college
> (including me) have papers catalogued at IEEE Xplore. Most students consider
> getting their paper listed there as an achievement. The procedure is
> somewhat like this (student perspective):
>
> 1. You write a paper.
>
> 2. You send your paper for being presented at an IEEE conference.
>
> 3. If your paper falls within the theme of the conference (eg : Humanitarian
> technology, communications e.t.c), a team of professional IEEEians review
> your paper.
>
> 4. The paper is assigned a status like "strongly accepted", "weakly
> accepted", "strongly rejected" or "weakly rejected". If the paper is
> accepted (strongly or weakly), the reviewers would have suggested changes to
> improve the quality of the paper (and a rating out of 5.0 is given, and
> there are separate points for originality of the work, quality of writeup,
> results, relevance e.t.c).
>
> 5. Once you make the suggested changes (optional, but strongly recommended)
> you upload a camera ready paper and sign an authorization letter for IEEE.
>
> 6. You are invited to present the paper at the concerned conference. Once
> presented, the paper will be catalogued at IEEE Xplore as part of the
> proceedings of that conference, and students mention this on their resume.
>
> As you can see, there is a pretty complicated process you have to go through
> if your paper is to be accepted. And a lot of the student papers do get
> rejected (poor formatting, not original work).
> I'm not familiar with open access journals, but I believe there will be
> nothing preventing a low quality paper from being published. IEEE screening
> makes sure that the papers are of a minimum standard (at least properly
> formatted, even if irrelevant and without much results). Peer review once
> published is an option, but again, there is no "entry barrier". So open
> access journals with some sort of screening up front would appeal more to
> students (and professionals) I guess. Again, I do not know if any currently
> existing open access journals already screen the papers.
>
> IEEE asks you to pay 13$ per paper even if you are the author! I could not
> download my own paper to show it to my father. Yes, I could have simply
> shown him the one that I already had on my local disk. But I thought it
> would be cool to download it from IEEE Xplore itself. IEEE doesn't allow
> this. This is a pity considering that IEEE student members have to pay a
> "reduced" rate of at least 7000 rs to register for the conference.
> Professional members have to pay double the amount,

>> On Monday 03 November 2014 12:22 PM, sooraj kenoth wrote:
>> > സുഹൃത്തുക്കളെ,
>> > കഴിഞ്ഞ കുറച്ചു ദിവസമായി കേള്‍ക്കുന്ന ഒരു കാര്യമാണ് Research
>> > publications എന്നത് വളരെ ചൂഷണം നടക്കുന്ന ഒരു സ്ഥലമാണ്, സ്വന്തം
>> > പോക്കറ്റിലേയോ പൊതുഖജനാവിലേയോ പണം മുടക്കി പ്രസിദ്ധീകരിക്കുന്ന ഗവേഷണ
>> > പ്രബദ്ധങ്ങള്‍ പ്രസാധകര്‍ക്ക് വെറുതെ തീറെഴുതികൊടുക്കുന്ന പരിപാടിയാണ്
> [...]

Regards
Sooraj Kenoth
"I am Being the Change I Wish to See in the World"