[smc-discuss] [DAKF] [X-post] [OT] Research publications

deepak p deepakp7 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 23:57:42 PST 2014

Dear Sooraj,

I would suggest that you do not mix your politics with academic ambitions,
and let the former come in the way of the latter:

Publish your research in high impact factor journals (whether open access
or not); impact factor is a good proxy for visibility (as well as
selectivity), and at an early-to-mid career stage, one would want to
maximize visibility/impact. Of course, if there is little to choose between
two venues in terms of Impact-Factor, where one is OA and other is not ,
you could let your politics decide in favor of the OA option.

Once you reach a position where you have some voice in the community (this
would typically be after a long time), try to get into editorial boards of
open access journals, or try to popularize them by publishing high quality
work there, and encouraging open access journals to raise their bar so that
they would have a higher impact factor in the long run; this is on the
lines of the activities undertaken by some accomplished math professors
against Elsevier. That way, the next generation would automatically publish
in open access journals going by the same impact factor yardstick if there
are enough OA journals in the high impact factor space.

Sadly though, there are very few OA journals in the high impact-factor
space as of now; so the IF yardstick would mostly lead you to non-OA
journals.

Thanks and Best Regards
Deepak

> സുഹൃത്തുക്കളെ,
> കഴിഞ്ഞ കുറച്ചു ദിവസമായി കേള്‍ക്കുന്ന ഒരു കാര്യമാണ് Research
> publications എന്നത് വളരെ ചൂഷണം നടക്കുന്ന ഒരു സ്ഥലമാണ്, സ്വന്തം
> പോക്കറ്റിലേയോ പൊതുഖജനാവിലേയോ പണം മുടക്കി പ്രസിദ്ധീകരിക്കുന്ന ഗവേഷണ
> പ്രബദ്ധങ്ങള്‍ പ്രസാധകര്‍ക്ക് വെറുതെ തീറെഴുതികൊടുക്കുന്ന പരിപാടിയാണ്
> എന്നൊക്കെ. പലയിടത്തും ഓടി നടന്ന് വായിച്ചിട്ടും ഇതിനെ കുറിച്ച് ഒന്നും
> മനസ്സിലാവുന്നില്ല. ഇതിനെ കുറിച്ച് നിങ്ങള്‍ക്കറിയാവുന്ന വിവരങ്ങള്‍
> പങ്കുവെക്കാമോ?
>
> നല്ലൊരു ജോലികിട്ടണമെങ്കിലോ തുടര്‍പഠനത്തിന് പോകണമെങ്കിലോ നല്ല impact
> factor ഉള്ള Journals-ല്‍ തന്നെ പേപ്പര്‍ വരണം എന്നും അതിന് പകരമുള്ള ഒരു
> സിസ്റ്റം ഇല്ലെന്നുമാണ് ചില സുഹൃത്തുക്കള്‍ പറഞ്ഞത്. Open access
> journals- എന്ന് പറഞ്ഞു കേട്ടതില്‍ പലതിനും impact factor ഇല്ല എന്നും
> പറയുന്നു.
>
> ശരിക്കും ഇതില്‍ നടക്കുന്ന പ്രവര്‍ത്തനങ്ങള്‍ എന്തൊക്കെയാണ്? ഇതിന്റെ
> ഗുണനിലവാര മാനദണ്ഡങ്ങള്‍ എന്തൊക്കെയാണ്? ഇതിന് വേണ്ടി നമുക്ക്
> എന്തെങ്കിലും ചെയ്യാനാവുമോ? ആര്‍ക്കെങ്കിലും എന്തെങ്കിലും ധാരണ
> ഉണ്ടെങ്കില്‍ പറഞ്ഞു തരാമോ?
>

> --
> Regards
> Sooraj Kenoth
> "I am Being the Change I Wish to See in the World"

Deepak P
http://deepakp7.googlepages.com/