[smc-discuss] Facebook and Google spy on you

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 10:53:56 PST 2014

> On Thursday 06 November 2014 11:12 PM, Anivar Aravind wrote:
> > ഇതിലാര്‍ക്കാണു തര്‍ക്കം . ഇതല്ലല്ലോ പ്രവീണ്‍ നേരത്തെ പറഞ്ഞതു് .
> > "ജനാധിപത്യത്തിന്റേയും സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യത്തിന്റേയും നിലനില്‍പ്പിനാവശ്യമായ
> അടിത്തറയാണു് സ്വകാര്യത"
> > എന്നായിരുന്നു പ്രവീണിന്റെ വാദം , അതിനോടാണു ഞാന്‍ വിയോജിച്ചതു്
>
> "Without the right of privacy, there is no real freedom of speech or
> freedom of opinion, and so there is no actual democracy."
>

> http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/19039-without-privacy-there-can-be-no-democracy

Already responded to this  in this mail
http://lists.smc.org.in/pipermail/discuss-smc.org.in/2014-November/056511.html

In my opinion There is no conflicts or overlaps between freedom of speech
and privacy . Both are 2 separate building blocks of human rights
Check article 12 and 19 of Universal Declaration of Human Rights

But right to privacy have a relationship to freedom via right to dignity.
Freedom is an aspect that has underpinnings in the concept of dignity
recognized in most of the human rights covenants. The risk of surveillance,
and breach of privacy clearly violates human dignity, as it curtails the
freedom of choice that human beings are able to make, by placing
individuals continuously under the threat of intrusive surveillance by the
state, and the public domain.

What constitutes an actual democracy is yet another discussion .