[smc-discuss] Facebook and Google spy on you

Pirate Praveen praveen at onenetbeyond.org
Tue Nov 11 04:25:28 PST 2014

On Tuesday 11 November 2014 05:52 PM, Pirate Praveen wrote:
>> http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/09/berlins-digital-exiles-tech-activists-escape-nsa
>
> Another powerful story for people who believe they have nothing to hide
> or the information they share are innocent.
>
> She was an art student and she tells the story of how the Stasi tried to
> recruit her as an informant.
>  “People say of the NSA, ‘I have nothing to hide.’ But it doesn’t
> matter. There is no such thing as innocent
>  information. I had things I needed to hide from the East German
> authorities but that wasn’t what they blackmailed
>  me with. They blackmailed me with my father’s job. He was a doctor,
> employed by the state. They said: ‘Don’t you
>  care about what happens to your family if he loses his job?’

“All information can be used against you in some way. And we have an
entire generation, the first one ever,
 about whom everything will be known. Their entire youth is being
monitored. And we don’t know what that might
 mean. How that might be used against them. I look at my father who is
80 and he has only known democracy for
 the shortest portion of his life. And that is why we have to act now.
We have the power to change things.
I remember how hopeless it seemed, 25 years ago, that it would ever
change. But it did. And we did that. We,
 the people. And that is why it’s up to us Germans to tell this to the
world.”

It is sad history means only years and names of kings to us, it teaches
us so much, if only we care to look back.