[smc-discuss] Facebook and Google spy on you

Pirate Praveen praveen at onenetbeyond.org
Tue Nov 11 04:35:54 PST 2014

On Tuesday 11 November 2014 05:55 PM, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> It is sad history means only years and names of kings to us, it teaches
> us so much, if only we care to look back.

The story concludes like this,

“As soon as you start to censor yourself,” Domscheit-Berg tells me,
“then you leave the path of free speech. So many people now do this in
Berlin. They avoid certain expressions. When we have meetings they leave
their phones in different rooms. You have already lost your freedom.”

Have I already lost mine? Has it affected my online behaviour? Possibly.
My thoughts have always flowed seamlessly from my brain to my fingers to
Google’s all-knowing rectangular white box. And now? There’s the
briefest pause. A hesitancy. It’s not exactly an iron curtain but it’s
not nothing either. I’m being watched. But then, you are too. And, if
you think it doesn’t matter, go to Berlin. Go to the Stasi museum. See
how it all panned out last time around.