[smc-discuss] Facebook and Google spy on you

Pirate Praveen praveen at onenetbeyond.org
Fri Nov 14 01:03:40 PST 2014

On Tuesday 11 November 2014 05:45 PM, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> I think we missed the angle of mass surveillance in this whole debate.
> Sharing a story I read today.

You may have nothing to hide, but do you want people who are fighting
for everyone discredited?

You may not bother to be on the record because you never challenge
anyone who has the power to silence you, but do you want everyone who
dare to speak truth to power be on the record all the time?

FBI's "Suicide Letter" to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Dangers
of Unchecked Surveillance.

it demonstrates exactly what lengths the intelligence community is
willing to go to—and what happens when they take the fruits of the
surveillance they’ve done and unleash it on a target.

The anonymous letter was the result of the FBI’s comprehensive
surveillance and harassment strategy against Dr. King, which included
bugging his hotel rooms, photographic surveillance, and physical
observation of King’s movements by FBI agents. The agency also attempted
to break up his marriage by sending selectively edited “personal moments
he shared with friends and women” to his wife.

Portions of the letter had been previously redacted. One of these
portions contains a claim that the letter was written by another
African-American: “King, look into your heart. You know you are a
complete fraud and a great liability to all us Negroes.” It goes on to
say “We will now have to depend on our older leaders like Wilkins, a man
of character and thank God we have others like him. But you are done.”
This line is key, because part of the FBI’s strategy was to try to
fracture movements and pit leaders against one another.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/fbis-suicide-letter-dr-martin-luther-king-jr-and-dangers-unchecked-surveillance