[smc-discuss] WhatsApp and mental torture in school communities

Nandakumar Edamana nandakumar at nandakumar.co.in
Sat Jun 6 05:20:15 PDT 2020

Praveenettan,

Thanks for considering the main with importance.

> We can start with an open letter to IT at School director.
Of course. I've sent mails to KITE CEO and the the Minister of Education
on my behalf, expressing my personal feelings, but of course, a letter
from a community is a must.

> I think for managing courses, Moodle will be a better fit than using
> WhatsApp groups I think.
I don't think primary school teachers and students can handle Moodle.
Colleges and universities should use it, and they already do.
> Also Signal is still centralized (we can't run our own servers if we
> want to interact with users on official Signal servers), so I
> recommend Matrix, which is decentralized and we already run our own
> server at poddery.com.
That's true, but such complications are beyond the technical expertise
of school teachers and students. I think Signal will be a good starting
point, way better than WhatsApp. Or our government should develop/host
one (I think there is no point caring about government surveillance when
it comes to school activities).

> I have started a cryptpad here
> https://cryptpad.fr/pad/#/2/pad/edit/CLrd8men4PdS4n9+iPs+OzBT/ we can
> add more points and finalize it.
Thanks. I'll forward my original mails. Please share further thoughts.

--
Nandakumar Edamana
https://nandakumar.org

GPG Key: https://nandakumar.org/contact/gpgkey.asc
GPG Key Fingerprint: BA6B 8FDE 644F F861 B638  3E2F 45D6 05FC 646A F75D