[smc-discuss] WhatsApp and mental torture in school communities

Pirate Praveen praveen at onenetbeyond.org
Sat Jun 6 05:30:32 PDT 2020

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 5:50 pm, Nandakumar Edamana
<nandakumar at nandakumar.co.in> wrote:
> Praveenettan,
>
> Thanks for considering the main with importance.
>
>>  We can start with an open letter to IT at School director.
> Of course. I've sent mails to KITE CEO and the the Minister of
> Education
> on my behalf, expressing my personal feelings, but of course, a letter
> from a community is a must.
>>
>>  I think for managing courses, Moodle will be a better fit than using
>>  WhatsApp groups I think.
> I don't think primary school teachers and students can handle Moodle.
> Colleges and universities should use it, and they already do.
>>  Also Signal is still centralized (we can't run our own servers if we
>>  want to interact with users on official Signal servers), so I
>>  recommend Matrix, which is decentralized and we already run our own
>>  server at poddery.com.
> That's true, but such complications are beyond the technical expertise
> of school teachers and students. I think Signal will be a good
> starting
> point, way better than WhatsApp. Or our government should develop/host
> one (I think there is no point caring about government surveillance
> when
> it comes to school activities).

School teachers or students does not have to install their own servers.
Organizations like KITE or ICFOSS can do it for them. I don't think
Signal is a good fit as we still depend on Open Whisper Systems for the
service, I agree it is better than WhatsApp, but not good enough when
we have even better options like Matrix.