[smc-discuss] WhatsApp and mental torture in school communities

Pirate Praveen praveen at onenetbeyond.org
Sat Jun 6 05:45:16 PDT 2020

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 6:00 pm, Pirate Praveen
<praveen at onenetbeyond.org> wrote:
> I don't think Signal is a good fit as we still depend on Open Whisper
> Systems for the service, I agree it is better than WhatsApp, but not
> good enough when we have even better options like Matrix.

Look at the recent examples of Trump's policies of banning Adobe from
providing service in Venezuela [1] and banning Google from providing
Android to Huawei [2]. If tomorrow Trump does the same to Open Whisper
Systems and India, we will be in the same situation (even though I
don't doubt the credentials of people behind Signal, it is vulnerable
to US govt policies). So it is important we have the freedoms to run
our own servers for Free Software to be really meaningful in practice
when it comes to client software depending on another software run on a
server.

[1]
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/7/20904030/adobe-venezuela-photoshop-behance-us-sanctions
[2]