[smc-discuss] WhatsApp and mental torture in school communities

Nandakumar Edamana nandakumar at nandakumar.co.in
Sun Jun 7 08:38:00 PDT 2020

On 07/06/20 8:25 pm, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> Even though I prefer to recommend Matrix, considering the strong push
> by Nandakumar for Signal, I have added that as an option we can
> propose. Also Telegram allows bridgin to Matrix making participation
> via Matrix possible, so we can offer that too.
I already support the idea of Matrix more than Signal, I was a bit
hesitant only because I didn't (and still don't) know the working. But
I'll try to learn, and I must. We can keep Signal as a fallback.
Telegram is really bad, I think. Better not promote it.

> If you'd like to volunteer, please vote here so we can give a stronger
> proposal to KITE CEO.
>
> https://codema.in/d/LDwsanKx/open-letter-to-kerala-it-school-kite-director-on-forcing-teachers-students-and-parents-to-use-whatsapp/5

Hell, I do! I didn't know there were this many people interested in
this. I've commented there. I think I lost my FSCI loomio touch when I
deleted my Gmail account. Restarted today.

> The idea is, since KITE is not officially pushing for WhatsApp, we can
> ask them to write to all teachers about Free Software options and then
> we support the teachers who show interest to use the Free Software
> alternatives. I think this will not have much opposition as it is
> optional and only people who are willing to take extra effort need to
> use it.
They do not officially push WhatsApp, but not speaking against forcing
it on teachers and students is equally bad. When I talked, KITE CEO was
very positive to support libre alternatives, but still I felt like
they're a bit hesitant speaking against WhatsApp. This should change. We
don't need to force anything. We just need choices for everyone, and the
endorsing of WhatsApp stopped.

--
Nandakumar Edamana
https://nandakumar.org

GPG Key: https://nandakumar.org/contact/gpgkey.asc
GPG Key Fingerprint: BA6B 8FDE 644F F861 B638  3E2F 45D6 05FC 646A F75D