[Student-projects] GSoC 2014 - Student introduction

Navaneeth K N nkn at riseup.net
Thu Feb 27 10:08:40 PST 2014

Hello Anirudh,

On 2/27/14 11:21 PM, Anirudh Vemula wrote:
> I have found the instructions to build Varnam (from Gitorius itself). I am
> looking forward to a detailed description of what the project is intended
> to achieve.

I am assuming you are talking about the improve learning system idea.

Varnam has a learning system built-in which can learn words and it can
also learn possible other ways to write a word.

For eg:
	learn("भारत") = [bharat, bhaarath, bharath]
	transliterate("bharat") = भारत
	transliterate("bhaarath") = भारत
	transliterate("bharath") = भारत

Varnam also learns a word's prefixes so that it can produce better
predictions for any word which has the same prefix. So in this case,
with just learning the word "भारत", varnam can predict "bharateey" =
"भारतीय".

The proposed idea talks about making this learn better. One example is
infer the word "भारत" when learning भारतीय. Something like a porter
stemmer implementation but integrated into the varnam framework so that
new language support can be added easily.

In your case since you speak only Telugu, I am not sure how you can pick
this up. Because today, varnam supports only Hindi and Malayalam.
Probably you can add Telugu support and work on this idea.

Let me know if something is unclear.