[Student-projects] MiniDebConf in Amritapuri, Kerala

R.Harish Navnit harishnavnit at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 13:31:48 PDT 2014

Hello all,

I'm Harish, a student from Amrita School of Engineering, Amritapuri campus.
We are planning to conduct an event, namely a MiniDebConf in our college
campus. We had made a few plans earlier on and despite the fact that we had
a few discussions with a few members of the community, we still don't know
what exactly to expect from the event. The event was initially planned to
be hosted during the days 12,13 and 14 of September this year. However,
after holding meetings with the Corporate and Industrial Relations
department of our college, we now believe that organizing the event in the
month of October serves better. The date is yet to be finalized. I hope the
majority of you would be free in the month of October and will be able to
attend the event. Let us know what you make of it and if any changes in the
date might be required.

We now have an all clear from the college to go ahead and organize this
event. What I need to know now is that how many speakers can we expect(from
the debian community) ? Can those interested please reply in this thread ?
We are expecting around 300 participants for the event. Can someone, who
has been to previous debconf's tell if the estimate for the number of
participants is realistic or off the mark ?

Finally, we need to chalk down an agenda for the event. That would be
possible once we have an idea of the speaker(s) and the various
topics/events that they plan to hold. It'd be nice if we were guided in
setting up the funnel for the event, where the proposed talks can be voted
up.

In a FOSS event, I hope it won't be an issue if we collect entry fees,
which would be nominal, if at all we do collect it. After all, we need to
help ourselves with funding if required. Please do let me know if doing
that is okay. We'd also be starting our calls for sponsorship very soon.
Again, if anyone is interested or can help in arranging something in this
regard. Please feel free to drop me a mail anytime.

It'd be really helpful if we could find more volunteers for the event. If
you're interested, please add your name in the Wiki-page for the event [1]

Thanking You,

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2014/Kollam

Warm Regards.
R.Harish Navnit