[Student-projects] GSoC 2014 project proposal : Language Filter for Diaspora

karthik senthil karthik.senthil94 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 04:40:04 PDT 2014

Hey Kartik

Thanks a lot for your observation !
This was exactly the problem posed to me by the Diaspora developers
when I had suggested globalize for translations.
And hence in my proposal( in the timeline section) I had allotted a
separate module for discussing this feature exclusively with the core
developers.

Due to the disadvantages of translation_tables in globalize, I have
decided to replace it with other language translation gems(which
rather use APIs like Google or Bing). I have hereby listed out a few
of the gems that I have explored:

1) to_lang ( https://github.com/jimmycuadra/to_lang )
2) easy_translate ( https://github.com/seejohnrun/easy_translate )
3) language-translator

I am sure that apart from these gems, external API calls can also be
made for the same.

Note : The reason for not mentioning the complete details of
translation on the proposal is that Diaspora developers feel that this
translation feature would increase the load on the server, and hence
left for further discussion and confirmations from them. If you feel
that this has to be added to the proposal,I am more than ready to do
so :)

Thank you for your time.
Thanking You
Karthik.S