[smc-discuss] Re: [Fwd: Re: Sanskrit translation]

Ani Peter peter.ani at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 03:19:01 PDT 2008

Hello Shrikant,

As Sasi Sir and Praveen has suggested, it would be a good idea for you
to start with Gnome/KDE Desktop. Before that I would like to give you
some information I have about the GNOME/KDE Desktop projects

1. GNOME DESKTOP PROJECT:

As far as I know there is already a team present for Sanskrit in Gnome:
http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/sa

As the translation status is 0% for so long, they have removed Sanskrit
from the Gnome Language List: http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/

I would advice you to join the gnome-i18n mailing list. Send mail to the
list mentioning your intentions for the language. You may let them know
your interest in Sanskrit localisation for Gnome project and can also
enquire about the existence of your team. I am sure someone will pick up
your mail - either someone from your team or the GNOME team would reply
you.
To subscribe to the gnome-i18n mailing list, please visit:

2. KDE DESKTOP PROJECT:

KDE does not show the existance of Sanskrit team. The KDE langauge teams
is at http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kde4/team/
In this case, you may join the kde-i18n mailing list, send mail to the
list enquiring about Sanskrit team and your willingness to start the
team, if it doesnt exist.
To subscribe to the kde-i18n mailing list, please visit:

These are the initial steps you need to do. Please feel free to write to
us if you have any questions/doubts.

Best regards
Ani Peter

V. Sasi Kumar wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 23:58 +0530, Praveen A wrote:
>

>> For desktop he can start with GNOME or KDE. We can help with that. Or
>> if he wants to start with FSF pages first, then he can talk to Shyam.
>> He just have to tell us where he wants to start and we can help him
>> accordingly.
>>

> So, Shrikant, you can start with either the GNOME desktop or the KDE
> desktop, the two most popular desktops in GNU/Linux. It really doesn't
> matter which one you start with, but maybe you can start with GNOME. If
> you can get a few more people to help, just perhaps, you can be in time
> for the next release of GNOME. Just write to this list (which is doing
> localisation in Malayalam) and they will tell you how to go about it.
> And do see if you can translate the web pages too.
>
> Happy translating!

സ്വതന്ത്ര മലയാളം കമ്പ്യൂട്ടിങ്ങ് - എന്റെ കമ്പ്യൂട്ടറിന് എന്റെ ഭാഷ
പിരിഞ്ഞു പോകാന്‍: smc-discuss-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com