[ilug-tvm] Re: some news from mangalam

haynes davis haynesdavis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 04:23:14 PST 2008

http://www.mail-archive.com/fsf-friends@mm.gnu.org.in/msg00704.html

I am writing this mail since my earlier mail is being interpreted to
mean that the CPI(M) is trying to sabotage the Free Software Movement in
the country. That was not at all what I meant. Since I wrote it in a
hurry as I am on the verge of leaving on a rather longish journey. I
don't think a large party like the CPM would try to capture a small
organisation like FSF India. But the convention has several known CPM
leaders (such as Dr. Debesh Das) and CPM supporters (such as Sri N.
Ram). So it would appear that the people who are doing this have a CPM
background. Why they would want to create such a problem, god only
knows. I am sure the top brass in the party would never knowingly permit
such activities. I am sorry if I sounded otherwise.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India

###################################################################################

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?no_d2=1&sid=08/11/17/0120203

HI, Myself one of the protestors of boycottnovell protest happened in
kerala. I would like to summarize some points here.

The event was not organized by the Communist Party. Communist Party is
promotting Free Software on several occasions and they have a good stand on
Free Software. The event organizers are as seen here at the event site
http://nfm2008.atps.in./ [nfm2008.atps.in] Some of the organizers were not
having enough exposure to the Free Software world. That actually led to the
situation of Novell being the platinum sponsor of the event. The whole
problem is because of the igorance of the organizers on the subject. The
organizers mishandled the subject without realizing the issue, as they have
little knowledge about the issue raised by us.

Our concern was about Novell, and we wanted the general public to know the
truth. For that we raised the posters telling them the reasons of boycott
Novell. We didnot boycott the event. We did participate the event and tried
to correct the organizers and tried to pass the correct information to the
public. The organizers didnt realize this and they took their position with
Novell due to their ignorance. and this mishandling of this issue caused the
problems.

Anyway the organizers <http://nfm2008.atps.in/> [nfm2008.atps.in] (CP(I)M is
not among the organizers ) owe an apology to free software community
regarding this.
I think the way slashdot presented the issue is misleading. This is not an
issue between Communist party and Free Software people.
On behalf of the protestors
Shyam K

It is very clear from the writings the news in the papers are drafted by
some among ourself. Why are they doing these activities. These people are
really working against free software movement. do fsf India holds this view
of cpim hijack or why dont fsf make things clear? Conference in Kochi was
really a good attempt to spread the idea of free software. Why some persons
want to sabotage that attempt, and that too in the name of FSF. I feel the
age of McCarthism is not still over for some. I dont see these type of
opposition among those whose are adamant to fight cpim away from free
software community in the threads which discussed BJP's foray into free
software realm. So it is clear that these anti-cpim fears are clearly from
their personal convictions and prejudice. And its cpim which has supported
free software movement the most. If there is something wrong in cpim's stand
on any issues or freedom software movement why cant we correct them instead
of staring them away.

Groups "ilug-tvm" group.
ilug-tvm-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com

For details visit the website: www.ilug-tvm.org or the google group page: http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en