[smc-discuss] Re: We would like to take up a FOSS project for google SoC under SMC guidance

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 09:59:13 PST 2009

2009/2/8 Yadu Nand <yadudoc1729 at gmail.com>:

> We are students of College of Engineering,Trivandrum doing 4th semester in
> Computer Science.

Welcome :)

> There are 6 of us,and we are able to work with C, C ++ and eager to learn
> more.

Good. Programming language comes into picture only after we get a
project to do. We should select a programming language for doing a
project. We should not search for a project for doing it in C/C++.
Language is just tool. Project idea matters.

> We are also thrilled by the fact that we would be contributing to our native
> community by doing
> a project with the SMC and working on a project for Google would be a dream
> come true.We

Great, Our participation in google summer of code is not confirmed.
Only information we have is we will be applying for the participation.
We got in 2007 but not in 2008.
But, Google summer of code  should not be the only motivation for
doing projects for the society. And you may watch other foss projects
as well.
At this point of time, you may look at the projects we are doing , the
projects finished and the planned projects. If you are really
interested participate in any of them. Have a look at our tasks at
Savannah(see the tasks section of
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/smc/)
Also have a look at our wiki - http://wiki.smc.org.in
But we would appreciate if you can come up with new project ideas that
can make the Malayalam computing better. Let us discuss that and here
is the place for that.

Happy Hacking
Santhosh Thottingal