[smc-discuss] Malayalam Computing session at Kerala Padana Congress

Jinesh K J jinesh.k at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 23:43:21 PST 2011

hi Navneeth,

I hope until santhosh gets time, my reply will suffice.

> 1 - അതില്‍ ഒന്നാമത്തെ പോയന്റില്‍ പറഞ്ഞ, പുതിയ എന്‍കോഡിങ്ങ്
> സുരക്ഷാപ്രശ്നങ്ങള്‍ ഉണ്ടാക്കുന്നു എന്നത് തികച്ചും ബാലിശമായ ഒരു വാദമായി
> തോന്നി. താങ്ങള്‍ക്ക് സമയമുള്ളപ്പോള്‍ അതിനെ ഒരു ഉദാഹരണസഹിതം
> വിശദീകരിക്കാമൊ?

This was explained and debated long before(if my memory is right,
around 4 years before).
The posts and discussions linked here[1] should solve the doubts.

> 2 - സര്‍ക്കാര്‍ വക കുത്തക സോഫ്റ്റ്വെയറിനു ഒരു example തരാമോ?
> സര്‍ക്കാര്‍ ആവശ്യത്തിനുള്ള പ്രൊഗ്ഗ്രാമ്മുകള്‍ open source
> ആക്കുന്നതില്‍ എന്താണ് advantage?
The dictionaries developed by C-DIT for IKM. Many many of the projects
sponsored by Ministry of IT, HRD and Sciece and Technology of Govt. of
India in many areas. All are closed. So, finally it just ends up as a
system available for download, made by our money but we wont even be
able to fix it(i hope you know how well govt. plan to maintain these
softwares). If we have a good ocr program available for free download,
but not able to add to repository of a linux distribution, whats the
use? Govt. gives specs and people works according to specs. Then some
years later, the entire work just ends up unusable(this has happened,
i first hand witnessed trouble of govt. in funding a project twice,
just because the first one's source was not available with anyone).

> 3 - മൈക്രോസൊഫ്റ്റിന്റെ കാര്‍ത്തിക ഫോണ്ടിനുവേണ്ടി കൊണ്ടുവന്ന
> നിര്‍ദ്ദേശം എന്നൊക്കെ പറയുമ്പോള്‍ proper citation വേണം എന്നൊരു
> അഭിപ്രായവുമുണ്ട്.

This happened in a unicode consortium meeting(i dont know whether they
published the minutes of that meeting). It was Cibu who told us the
detail. He has access to Google's representative in Unicode
Consortium, so we didn't find any reason to disbelieve him. Later on
the question and accusation was raised on unicode indic mailing list,
in which microsoft UC representative Peter Constable(?) is(was) an
active member. As far as i remember of those discussions, he didn't
reply. So, i dont think microsoft said anywhere openly what happened,
but people who have access to the ones who participated in consortium
has given the news to community. The discussion should be there on
smc's archives. Please do search.