[smc-discuss] Invitation for 14th July IDN awareness workshop at Thiruvananthapuram

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 07:01:16 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Hiran Venugopalan <hiran.v at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 July 2011 15:32, MAHESH KULKARNI <mdk at cdac.in> wrote:
>>

>> Dear All,
>>
>> Pl. find attached herewith the invite for the 14th July IDN awareness
>> workshop to be held at Thiruvananthapuram.

> I remember you committed us to organise a consultation to address the
> critiques raised by SMC
> (http://www.hindu.com/2010/12/13/stories/2010121357790400.htm) Is this
> awareness program is for that purpose?
> The programme seems to be too short notice and I beleive it will be
> difficult for many of us to participate in this. I hope you will oragnise a
> Detailed Consultation on Malayalam IDN Draft , after this "awareness
> workshop" by ensuring participation of all stake holders.

Mahesh,

Thanks for the invitation.
Awareness programs are supposed to be based on a well defined
policy/standard about IDN in Malayalam. But as you know, the draft
policy is full of mistakes[1]. How can we make the audience aware that
"Malayalam nta" should be written in an unseen manner for domain
names? How will we explain to public that because of a bug in
Microsoft Internet explorer, one letter cannot be used in Malayalam
domain names? Standards should not be tailor made based on vendor
bugs.

Such mistakes need to be corrected and the draft need be rewritten
based on a detailed and in depth discussion and consensus.  I hope
CDAC will take necessary steps to correct this mistake. We would be
happy to assist you in conducting a meeting with various stakeholders.
The awareness program is announced in a short notice and may not be
convenient to travel to Kerala and attend it for many  of us.

[1] http://wiki.smc.org.in/CDAC-IDN-Critique

Thanks
Santhosh