[smc-discuss] Fwd: [DAKF] കേരള ശാസ്ത്രസാഹിത്യ പരിഷത്ത് നാല്പത്തിഎട്ടാം സംസ്ഥാനവാ൪ഷികം അംഗീകരിച്ച പ്രമേയം KSSP Resolution on need for ensuring use of Malayalam in Courts, depts, banks etc

Sunil K iamsunilk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 04:16:24 PDT 2011

Manoj,

The major problem with Malayalam SMS is interoperability between
different vendors and also efficiency of encoding. But in September 2009
3GPP included support for 22 Indian Languages including Malayalam using
a efficient 7 bit encoding scheme. Also there is a special interest
group working on this aspect under the banner of Broadband Wireless
Consortium of India, with the aim of standardizing
1. Text entry
2.  Font rendering and Display
3.  Encoding and Interoperability
4.  Regulation and Deployment

which include operators and vendors etc.

http://bwci.org.in/content.php?menu_id=2&sub_menu_id=6

I just said this because, whatever the support Nokia have for Malayalam
language may not be the best (For SMS) /may not be inter operable with
other vendors (Sony/Samsung/LG).  I have the feeling it is like pre
Unicode Malayalam support in computers. You have many choices but not
suitable for sharing.

Regards
Sunil K