[smc-discuss] A better code for XeLaTeX and Malayalam

Mohammed Sadik pk sadiqpkp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 04:50:52 PST 2014

Thanks Rajeesh, for the font recommendation.  I think the font is not installed
on my system.

by the way, the \begin{english} and \end{english} might
not be good to be included at each quotes appearing. So
I did this some other way. Thats all.

On 1/11/14, Santhosh Thottingal <santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, January 11, 2014, Mohammed Sadik pk wrote:
>
>> I found a wiki at http://wiki.smc.org.in/XeTeX on how to compile
>> Malayalam
>> with XeTeX. But I didn't find it that professional as we get when we
>> typeset
>> in English using LaTeX.
>>
>> So I tried to improve the code a little so that it would look more
>> professional. Its, of course
>> not the best, but better than the old.
>>
>> Its at http://wiki.smc.org.in/XeTeX2
>

> At the end of http://wiki.smc.org.in/XeTeX I had added "The above tutorial
> is a very basic tutorial on using XeTeX with Malayalam.". While I
> appreciate your effort to make it more professional, we need to balance the
> effort to start using XeTeX from zero knowledge and progressively improve
> the skill. That is why I intentionally kept the tutorial minimum. Also, we
> don't want to duplicate the general LaTeX tutorials in our wiki. So a link
> is given in the page. In short the idea is "start with this example, and
> continue with the elaborate tutorials found elsewhere".

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that Its something best.  I had to create
a document in malayalam, so I searched for XeTeX.  It took about 10 hours
to find a way to change the font for specific character (probably I
might be using
the wrong keyword for finding, whatever).  So I wish others not to
waste their time again on this.

> Thanks
> Santhosh

The code, again, has been improved for:

* the copyright symbol, and probably other math symbols.

* Bold, Italic, and Bold-Italic phases.