[Student-projects] Regarding the project 'A spell checker for Indic language that understands inflections'

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 01:48:37 PST 2014

Hi Aravind,

Thanks for the interest in the project. Please go through the wiki page
http://wiki.smc.org.in/SoC/2014 for details about the application
process. Applications will be reviewed by SMC mentors.

The spellchecker is a tough project. Please do not underestimate it. You
will see lot of programs in internet that does this for English. But it
is quite different for Malayalam. This project was listed in last year
also. We did receive lot of applications but did not show in depth
understanding of the issues. The project is about developing an
algorithm to handle inflections and agglutinations of Malayalam.

So it is not just about coding an algorithm, but about coming up with an
algorithm.

If you are interested in solving this, start looking at the current
Malayalam spellchecker based on Hunspell, alternate algorithm we tried
in silpa, and about the nature of inflection and agglutination issue to
be handled. Along with learning the problem, start writing your notes in
SMC wiki(or in some public place). Your ability to research, problem
solving skills should impress the evaluation team. All the best.

You are free to ask questions and clarifications about the project, but
after doing some homework.

Thanks
Santhosh