[Student-projects] GSOC'14

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 02:00:49 PST 2014

Hi Reetesh Ranjan,

Thanks for proposing a project idea. We value student proposed ideas
than the listed ideas!.

> Whatever I have understood from your projects and webpage is that, SMC
> is an organisation that is trying interface with *Indic Language. *
> But, I guess you are not having any projects for *Sign Language
> Recognition.* Just as speech recognition can transcribe speech to text,
> certain types of gesture recognition software can transcribe the symbols
> represented through sign language into text.We can device an project to
> interface with gesture and using machine learning we make it learn to
> sign language.
> This could be very useful in daily life and will be an gift to deaf and
> dump.

Could you please clarify what exactly you meant by sign language? Is it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_language?

Is it like recognizing the meaning from the video of gestures? Can you
explain with some real world examples? We never worked on this kind of
projects. So I am afraid whether you can find any experts from SMC to
guide you on this.

Thanks
Santhosh