[Student-projects] GSoC 2014 project "Improving cross language transliteration system"

achuth pv achuthpv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 13:04:22 PST 2014

Hi everyone,

My name is Achuth PV,  first year Master of Technology student in
Communication and Signal Processing, Indian Institute of Technology,
Bombay, India. I did my B Tech in Electronics and Communication from
College of Engineering, Trivandrum.

I am really interested to work in the GSoC project "Improving cross
language transliteration system"
=================================

*Project*: Improving cross language transliteration system

Currently only Kannada and Malayalam are perfect rest all are first
converted to Malayalam then to English due to lack of language internal.
Also currently for English to Indic we use CMUDict so transliteration
capability is limited to words in CMUDict only probably we could develop
better method for English to Indic transliteration. Current Indic to
English and vice versa transliteration depends on CMUSphinx dictionary
which is having limited set of words which will result in some words being
left in native text.

CLDR has transliteration data for Indic languages. We can explore it and
see the feasibility. For an intermediate representation of the scripts
either IPA can be used or ISO 15919 standard can be used. All these must be
supplemented with exception rules and special case handling to achieve more
perfect result.

*Complexity* : Easy

*Confirmed Mentors* : Vasudev Kamath, Jishnu Mohan

*How to contact the mentor*: IRC -

   - Vasudev Kamath - copyninja on #smc-project and #silpa on Freenode
   - Jishnu Mohan - jishnu7 on #smc-project and #silpa on Freenode

*Expertise required*: Python

============================
I am really comfortable in programming using C/C++, java,  and I have
understanding of Python, git. I am also comfortable in working in Linux. I
am a team player and a fast learner and has got good commitment. I have
worked in Oracle India Pvt Ltd as an Application Engineer for two years and
I have little experience with handling string translation and string
repositories.

I want to contribute a lot to the open source world and I want GSoC to be
the stepping stone for that. I would also like to use this opportunity to
learn a lot.

Can any one please tell me how to start working on this project.

Thanks in Advance

Achuth