[Student-projects] GSOC'14: Grandham

Deepak kumar deepak.kumar.ece11 at itbhu.ac.in
Thu Mar 6 00:12:54 PST 2014

Hello everyone,

As suggested, I have gone through the documentation of MARC21. What I have
understood is, MARC21 is a basically formatting of certain records/data
either bibliographic, authority, holdings, or community information. In
other words we can say it as encoding and decoding process of records in a
fixed format. Today MARC21 is most predominant and widely used. So in order
to import data from a MARC21 record we have to read the record character by
character and perform decoding operation. The project says we have to
import and export data in MARC21 records. The only tough thing about this
project is to know the MARC21 format.
So my steps will be
1. Reading the MARC21 record file as a string or reading fixed number of
character from record each time instead of reading whole record as single
string.
2. Assigning these fixed length strings to fixed
variables.(Tag,length,start position,end position)
3. With the help of these tags reading the rest of file.
4. Lastly formatting these pieces of data in fixed format for end users
with the help of inbuilt database.

This will be basic idea of my work. Please correct me wherever I am wrong
also if I am missing any point.

Kind Regards,

Deepak Kumar
Electronics Engineering